Starting a Business in Livonia
Welcome! The City of Livonia aims to assist prospective, as well as existing, business owners with their business development needs. We encourage you to contact City staff members early in the process to ensure the most efficient use of your time and to discuss permit, zoning, or approval requirements as they relate to each individual project. Whether you are starting your business, expanding, or need information about doing business in Livonia, this is the place to get started. Our Guide to Development (PDF) is a great resource equipped with helpful links, department phone numbers and areas of responsibility, and more.
Did You Know...
- All construction related permit applications, and any required supporting material, must be submitted prior to any work being completed. For questions on construction codes, building permits, and sign requirements (PDF) in the City of Livonia, please refer first to our Building / Inspection Department at 734-466-2580 or email Inspections.
- Zoning districts have different uses and requirements. To get started check out our Zoning District Map and the City Zoning Ordinance to better understand each zoning district. You can also check with our Planning Department at 734-466-2290 or email Planning with a brief description of your business project or plan, so we may properly assist you with your planning and development needs.
- Before opening/or operating a business in Livonia check with our Clerk's Department for related business license or permits (if applicable) to your line of business, or you may also check out our City Ordinance on Business / Permit Regulations. Call our Clerks Office at 734-466-2228 or email the Clerk for more information.
- City of Livonia Bid Process - The City participates in the Michigan Intergovernmental Trade Network (MITN), an e-Procurement system. Check out our Bid Process on our Finance Department page.
Primary Areas of Work / Service of City Departments
- Cell Towers, wholesaler car dealer zoning approval
- Demographic information, Geographic Information System (GIS) Maps, Zoning Maps
- Industrial, commercial, and land development assistance
- Letters providing Zoning District information
- Site plan review for proposed improvements to a given lot or parcel
Building / Inspection
- Building Inspections and Permits:
- Demolition and moving
- Zoning compliance
- Issues Certificate of Occupancy
- Letters providing historical record on property zoning violations
- License Registration for Building, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, and Sign Contractors
- Zoning/Ordinance Violations Complaints, Inspections
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Maps
- Inspect Public Construction work
- Permits for work within the public right-of-way
- Review plans for public improvements
- Street, Streetlight, Sidewalk repairs/issues
- Birth and Death Records
- Business Licensing
- Council Meetings: Agendas, Studies, and Public Hearings
- Permits: Garage Sale, Block Party, Pets, and Bicycles
- Assessment information
- Exemption of Personal Property Taxes
- Lot Split-Combinations
- Tax information
Tips to Get You Started: "Business To-Do List"
- Create a business plan and do a needs assessment. The Schoolcraft College Business Development Center and the Small Business Association of Michigan are good resources.
- Questions for small businesses? Contact the Schoolcraft College Business Development Center or Pure Michigan Business Connect.
- Do you need to form a Limited Liability Company (LLC), Sole Proprietor, S-Corp, or perhaps a Joint Venture? Check out the Small Business Administration's 10 steps to starting your business.
- Apply for a business license if applicable to your line of business. Contact your Clerk's office for details.
- Find a location or space, make sure the zoning for that location allows your type of business, and discuss your business idea and or site plan with a City Planner. First inquire with your Planning and Economic Development office for zoning districts and site plan specifics. Please email Economic Development or email Planning for more information.
- Apply for necessary building permits to remodel, renovate, expand, etc. Contact your Building and Inspection Department to discuss necessary permit needs. Access Building/Inspection Applications.
- Thinking about new exterior signage for your business. Consult with your Planning Department for details. Download the Application for Signage Approval (PDF).
- Network and Advertise. Joining your Livonia Chamber of Commerce is a great starting point to meet other professionals, and let the community know about your new or expanding business with a grand opening and/or ribbon cutting event.