Refuse & Recycling in Livonia
Livonia residents have two options for recycling by using either the Curbside Recycling Program or the drop-off Recycle Center. For refuse or yard waste collection, please see the Refuse Information or Brush Pickup pages.
Curbside Recycling Program
For curbside recycling, place items curbside in the recycling bin separated from your refuse on your scheduled collection day. If you need a recycling bin replacement or a second bin, you may pick one up from Sanitation located in the City Hall Annex or the Department of Public Works Yard located at:
12973 Farmington Road
South of I-96
Livonia, MI 48150
If you're interested in purchasing a recycling cart on wheels, contact GFL at (844) 464-3587.
Items collected include:
- Boxboard/paperboard such as cereal and shoe boxes, etc.
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars. No:
- Drinking glasses
- Light bulbs
- Window glass
- Corrugated cardboard and boxes must be cut down to 2 feet by 2 feet and bundled.
- Glossy magazines/catalogs
- Junk mail (including envelopes with windows).
- Manila folders
- Newspapers and inserts.
- Office, computer and loose-leaf paper (any color).
- Paperback books (or donate to the Library for the book sale).
- Plastic bottles and containers marked on the bottom with the recycle symbol 1 through 7. No styrofoam. No motor oil or antifreeze containers.
- Small scrap metal items. Pot, pans and license plates are acceptable. No clothing hangers.
- Telephone books
- Tin, aluminum and empty aerosol cans. Only empty aerosol cans.
- Clean pizza boxes
- Clean garden plastics
- Empty and rinse containers
- Flatten cardboard boxes
- Leave caps on plastic bottles
- OK to leave staples, clips, labels, stamps, spiral bindings and metal fasteners on paper materials
- Electronic waste (Batteries are accepted at the Drop-Off Center. E-Waste can be brought to Household Hazard Waste Drop-off events)
- Foam containers (Styrofoam)
- Hazardous waste
- Needles or syringes
- Organic material and food waste
- Paint, pesticides, oil, antifreeze, etc. (Oil and antifreeze are accepted at the Drop-off Center)
- Plastic bags
- Waxed cardboard
- Window panes, mirrors, ceramics or dishware
- Wire hangers
Drop-Off Recycling Center
The Drop-off Recycling Center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Center is located on the south side of Glendale Avenue approximately a half-mile east off of Farmington Road between Schoolcraft and Plymouth Roads.
In addition to the items listed above for Curbside recycling, the Drop-Off Center accepts:
- Larger pieces of corrugated cardboard
- Larger scrap metal such as frames, folding chairs, etc.
- Oil and antifreeze
- Vehicle and household batteries
Tips to Reduce Waste
- Learn to recognize
avoidables- anything you cannot recycle or reuse, for example, disposable razors, paper plates, and napkins.
- Purchase items packaged in recyclable material and avoid items packaged in non-recyclable packaging like styrofoam.
- Avoid over-packaging. $1 for every $10 spent at the grocery store is spent on packaging. Buying items in bulk saves money, saves trips to the store, and greatly reduces packaging.
- Switch to a reusable grocery bag or choose paper grocery bags instead of plastic.
- Reuse plastic containers that are not recyclable such as plastic tubs.
- Reuse the bags for your next shopping trip.
- Donate or sell reusable garments, repairable appliances, and furniture to organizations.
- Save your egg cartons. In the Spring reuse them to plant seedlings. Small farms with chickens often appreciate egg carton donations.
- Save reusable bows and boxes from the holidays or birthday and reuse.
Wood Recycling Center
The Mid-Michigan Recycling Center accepts wood for the disposal that is not handled by curbside or brush and branch services. Visit the Wood Recycling Center page for more information.