Refuse & Recycling in Livonia
Livonia residents have two options for recycling by using either the Curbside Recycling Program or the drop-off Recycle Center. For refuse or yard waste collection, please see the Refuse Information or Brush Pickup pages.
Curbside Recycling Program
For curbside recycling, place items curbside in the recycling bin separated from your refuse on your scheduled collection day. If you need a recycling bin replacement or a second bin, you may pick one up from Sanitation located in the City Hall Annex or the Department of Public Works Yard located at:
12973 Farmington Road
South of I-96
Livonia, MI 48150
If you’re interested in purchasing a recycling cart on wheels, contact GFL at (844) 464-3587.
- Boxboard, paperboard (cereal and shoe boxes) and clean pizza boxes
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars
- Corrugated cardboard and boxes must be cut down to 2 feet by 2 feet and bundled
- Garden plastics (clean)
- Glossy magazines, catalogs, newspapers, inserts, and telephone books
- Manila folders and junk mail (including envelopes with windows)
- Office, computer and loose-leaf paper (any color)
- Paperback books (or donate to the Library for the book sale)
- Plastic bottles and containers marked on the bottom with the recycle symbol 1 through 7
- Small scrap metal items. Pot, pans and license plates are acceptable
- Tin, aluminum and empty aerosol cans
Be sure to empty and rinse containers. Make sure cardboard boxes are flattened. Leave caps on plastic bottles It is okay to leave staples, clips, labels, stamps, spiral bindings and metal fasteners on paper materials.
- Batteries (accepted at the Drop-Off Center)
- Ceramics, dishware or drinking glasses
- Electronic and hazardous waste (accepted at Household Hazard Waste Drop-Off)
- Foam containers (Styrofoam)
- Needles or syringes
- Organic material and food waste
- Paint, pesticides, oil or antifreeze (accepted at the Household Hazard Waste Drop-Off)
- Plastic bags
- Waxed cardboard
- Window panes snd mirrors
- Wire hangers
Curbside Collection of Used Textiles and Small Household Items
the simple recycling program (collecting of clothing and household items)
The City of Livonia offers a convenient new recycling service for residents: home pickup service for clothing, shoes, and small household items. The service is provided by Simple Recycling and is free to residents.
When cleaning out closets or disposing of unwanted clothes and small household items, residents can schedule a free home pickup on the Simple Recycling website or by calling (866) 835-5068 and then by 7:30 am on the scheduled pickup day place the items outside their front door in the Simple Recycling bags, regular trash bags, or cardboard boxes that are clearly marked for Simple Recycling. A reminder e-mail will be sent from Simple Recycling the day before the scheduled pickup. Simple Recycling’s trucks will collect items left outside the front door on the scheduled pickup day. Orange Simple Recycling collection bags are available to residents at the DPW (12973 Farmington Road) and at City Hall in the Sanitation Department.
For more information about the Simple Recycling program, residents can call the City of Livonia Department of Public Works at (734) 466-2655 or visit Simple Recycling.
|Types of Items Accepted|
|Used or new clothing||Fashion accessories/jewelry||Socks (single or in pairs)|
|Backpacks||Handbags and purses||Stuffed animals|
|Bedding (sheets, pillowcases, blankets, comforters)||Hats and gloves||Table linens|
|Belts and ties||Kitchenware (dishes and silverware)||Tools|
|Boots and shoes||Pillows||Towels|
|Coats and jackets||Sandals and slippers (in pairs)||Toys|
|Curtains and drapes||Sleeping bags||Undergarments (bras)|
DROP-OFF RECYCLING CENTER
The Drop-off Recycling Center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Center is located on the south side of Glendale Avenue approximately a half-mile east off of Farmington Road between Schoolcraft and Plymouth Roads.
In addition to the curbside recycling items, the Drop-Off Center accepts:
- Larger pieces of corrugated cardboard
- Larger scrap metal such as frames, folding chairs, etc.
- Oil and antifreeze
- Vehicle and household batteries
TIPS TO REDUCE WASTE
- Learn to recognize
avoidables- anything you cannot recycle or reuse, for example, disposable razors, paper plates, and napkins.
- Purchase items packaged in recyclable material and avoid items packaged in non-recyclable packaging like styrofoam.
- Avoid over-packaging. $1 for every $10 spent at the grocery store is spent on packaging. Buying items in bulk saves money, saves trips to the store and greatly reduces packaging.
- Switch to a reusable grocery bag or choose paper grocery bags instead of plastic.
- Reuse plastic containers that are not recyclable such as plastic tubs.
- Reuse the bags for your next shopping trip.
- Donate or sell reusable garments, repairable appliances and furniture to organizations.
- Save your egg cartons. In the Spring, reuse them to plant seedlings. Small farms with chickens often appreciate egg carton donations.
- Save reusable bows and boxes from the holidays or birthday and reuse.