- Community Development Block Grant Program
Community Development Block Grant Program
Community Development Block Grant-Coronavirus (CDBG-CV) Funding Public Hearing
CITY OF LIVONIA
2016-2021 CONSOLIDATED PLAN
2019 ANNUAL ACTION PLAN
BLOCK GRANT (CDBG) PROGRAM
NOTICE is hereby given that the City of Livonia has received a total of $662,701.00 in Community Development Block Grant-Coronavirus (CDBG-CV) funding to be allocated to activities that address COVID-19 related community needs. A second Substantial Amendment to the 2016-2021 Consolidated Plan and FY 2019 Annual Action Plan is required.
The amended CDBG 2016-2021 Consolidated Plan and FY 2019 Annual Action Plan is required. These plans outline program activities and describes how these funds will be spent locally. The CDBG-CV funds allocated under the CARES Act will be used for a range of eligible activities that prevent and respond to the spread of infectious diseases such as the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The Community Development program’s recommendation for activities and funding in the Amended 2016-2021 Consolidated Plan and FY 2019 Annual Action Plan include:
Public Service Programs – $125,427.58
· The COVID-19 testing program, administered by the City of Livonia Public Safety Fire Division, provides COVID-19 testing, vaccinations, or other services at a fixed or mobile location. Testing will be available to Livonia residents of low- to moderate-income senior citizen communities. Senior citizens are presumed to be included in the low moderate income (LMI) category and are, therefore, eligible to receive CDBG funded services regardless of income. Testing and vaccinations will also be offered to critical employees administering Livonia’s senior citizen programs. The City of Livonia Public Safety Fire Division will continue to provide additional services which shall include providing assistance to any Livonia based senior housing facility to further ensure that Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) is available and provided to those who need it, to educate Livonia’s senior citizens and their caregivers on the proper use of PPE, and to administer the COVID-19 vaccine to Livonia’s senior citizens who may not have access to the vaccine without the City’s assistance. PPE will continue to be available (on a limited basis) for City services, small businesses, and residents of Livonia that cannot secure PPE. Mental health programming will include training for our seniors and staff surrounding topics, such as: mental health first aid, mental health 101, suicide awareness, conflict resolution, seniors and sexual health, grief/loss, anxiety, depression, and isolation/loneliness. The total budget for Public Service Activities is $125,427.58
Economic Development – $442,500
· Small Business Grants Round 1: The Small Business Grant program, administered by the City of Livonia Community Development Department and Planning and Economic Department, would be available to provide short-term working capital assistance to Livonia small businesses that were affected by social distancing and State of Michigan closures. The goal of this program is to enable retention of jobs held by low- and moderate-income persons. 10-15 estimated grants to be available in increments of $2,500, $5,000, $7,500, and $10,000. The total budget for Small Business Grants is $127,500.00. During the first round of CDBG-CV, 25 Small business grants were awarded in allotments of $7,500, $5,000, and $2,500 which totaled $142,500.00.
· Small Business Grants Round 2: To further continue with supporting Livonia’s Small Businesses affected by the State of Michigan closures, an additional $300,000.00 from the total CDBG-CV grant award will be given in small business grants. The City of Livonia has established the CDBG-CV Small Business Grant Program, a program to assist vulnerable businesses located in Livonia with access to short-term working capital to mitigate the impacts of revenue losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Small Business Grant Program includes CDBG funds received under the CARES Act to link mentoring, access to tools and resources with financial support to provide immediate relief to organizations while providing the support needed to enhance future resilience. This will be split into two separate programs due to HUD guidelines. One program will be for microenterprises (5 businesses or less) and the second program will be for small businesses (5-100 employees).
Planning and Administration - $94,773
Substantial Amendments to the 2016-2021 Consolidated Plan and FY 2019 Annual Action Plan
requires a thirty (30) day public comment period. The Public Comment Period runs from December 5, 2022 through January 5, 2023. A public hearing will be held on Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. to obtain additional comments regarding COVID-19 related needs and use of these funds. This public hearing will be held in person at Silver Village’s Community Building 33780 Lyndon Ave, Livonia, MI. 48154. You may also submit your comments to Madison Bjertness, Interim CDBG Director, at email@example.com.
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) is an entitlement program of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. CDBG funds are used primarily to benefit low and moderate-income households or areas as defined by the United States Census. The City of Livonia may utilize CDBG funds for a number of activities including but not limited to:
- Home Improvements: Major Home Rehabilitation Loans and Minor Home Repair Grants
- Public Services: Senior Van Transportation, Mental Health Counseling, First Step Domestic Violence, Emergency Utility Assistance
- Neighborhood Revitalization: Park Improvements, Lighting, Landscaping, Blight Reduction
If you are a licensed, insured, lead-based paint-certified contractor interested in bidding on home improvement projects please call (734) 421-6450, ext. 104, and view our Contractor Application (PDF). We welcome Minority-owned Business Enterprise and Women-owned Business Enterprise contractors.
- 2011 Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice (PDF)
- 2016 to 2021 City of Livonia Con Plan (PDF)
- 2018 to 2019 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Budget (PDF)
- 2018 to 2019 Fiscal Year Annual Action Plan (PDF)
- Application Major (PDF)
- Application Minor (PDF)
- Citizen Participation Plan (PDF)
- Home Improvement Program Brochure (PDF)