While renovating the Livonia Transmission Plant (Plant), Ford Motor Company reported the discovery of chlorinated compounds in the groundwater to the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE). Ford Motor Company investigated the contamination and determined one of these compounds, vinyl chloride, had migrated east of the plant in groundwater into the adjacent residential neighborhood. Ford Motor Company installed monitoring wells and soil gas wells around the plant and in the residential neighborhood in an effort to assess groundwater and soil gas conditions. In July of 2017, Ford Motor Company entered into a Consent Decree with EGLE. The Consent Decree requires Ford Motor Company to conduct investigations and remedial actions under a schedule while EGLE conducts formal regulatory oversight.
Groundwater in the area is shallow and EGLE required Ford Motor Company to install additional monitor wells screened at the top of the groundwater table to assess the potential risk to homes in the area for vapor intrusion. Some of these shallow wells have been installed and some are currently being installed. Results from some of these wells have identified a groundwater plume of vinyl chloride above site-specific volatilization to indoor air criteria. EGLE is requiring Ford Motor Company to install mitigation systems to address the residences within this groundwater plume on an expedited schedule.
Additional investigation and sampling of monitor wells continued throughout 2019.
Stay up to date, register to be part of the EGLE e-mail listserv. To receive information updates, please join the Ford Livonia Vapor Intrusion Listserv.
Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Environmental Assistance Center
Phone: (800) 662-9278
Wayne County Department of Health
Veterans & Community Wellness, Environmental Health Section
Phone: (517) 727-7400
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Phone: (800) 648-6942
community outreach and education
- Factsheet for Ford Livonia (PDF)
- Ford Livonia Response Activity Plan Remedial Investigation April 13, 2018 (PDF)
- Ford Motor Company Consent Decree July 22, 2017 (PDF)
- Response Activity Plan - Vapor Intrusion Evaluation - April 13, 2018 (PDF)
- Vapor Intrusion Investigation Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- What is Vapor Intrusion (PDF)
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant - Map of Plume and 100 foot offset April 19, 2019 (PDF)
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant - Map of Plume and 100 foot offset March 29, 2019 (PDF)
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant Map with Wells and Addresses May 8, 2019 (PDF)
- Ford Livonia Transmission Plant Shallow Well Installation Map March 20, 2019 (PDF)
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Presentation for Ford Livonia (PDF)
- Notification for the Consent Decree for Response Activity Plan-Vapor Intrusion Evaluation with Modifications August 2018 (PDF)
- Notification of Compliance and Consent Decree for Response Activity Plan-Remediation Investigation August 2018 (PDF)
- Public Information Session Aug. 20, 2018 (PDF)
- Public Information Session March 21, 2019 (PDF)
- Vapor Intrusion and Groundwater Contamination Plume FAQS Updated March 2019 (PDF)
- Vapor Intrusion and Groundwater Contamination Plume Project Update - March 2019 (PDF)