To foster mutual self-respect and understanding and promote amicable relations among all racial, religious, and ethnic groups. The Commission educates and counsels in the area of civil rights enforcement.
More work is always needed to support fairness, equity, procedural justice, transparency and accountability – the values that build trust. Therefore, the Livonia Human Relations Commission is being reconstituted in 2020 with the following charge:
• To ensure everyone is treated fairly—regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other identity.
• To shed a brighter light on racial and social injustice that permeates all communities, including Livonia.
• To activate the next generation to shape the strategies that will lead to ending racism and social injustice.
The Human Relations Commission is:
• Working in partnership with City Departments to promote operations, programming and outreach that supports diversity, equity and inclusion across Livonia
• Endorsing events and programs that advance the Human Relations Commission’s mission.
• Advising the Mayor’s office on policy recommendations to improve trust between City government and residents.
Richard Glover, Chair Year Appointed: 2017
Haitham Fakhouri, Vice-Chair Year Appointed: 2020
Dominick Mack, Secretary Year Appointed: 2023
Denise Collins-Robison Year Appointed: 2022
Becky Drzewicki Year Appointed: 2022
Thomas Emerick Year Appointed: 2023
Madison Ling Year Appointed: 2023
Pastor Yvette Warren Year Appointed: 2023
The Human Relations Commission consists of up to nine members, broadly representative of the diverse groups in the community, to be appointed by and at the pleasure of the Mayor. Appointed members serve for three-year terms.
In accordance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act as it pertains to access to Public Meetings, the City Clerk’s Office of the City of Livonia, upon adequate notice, will make reasonable accommodations for persons with special needs. If you need assistance, please call (734) 466-2236 or email the Clerk.